Thursday, June 19, 2014

A lot of cooking

So on fathers day I had the most disgusting poor excuse for a burrito made by a local "fast food" mexican (not taco bell) establishment. I was looking forward to trying their food but after I read the reviews I was cautious. Once I took a bite I knew I would never try them again. The meat tasted like some undrained canned meat not to mention how did they get it to taste like chicken noodle soup? Also plain white rice? Whenever I got a chicken and rice burrito its either a cilantro rice or spanish rice but never plain white rice that had no flavor. So despite their cheap price that lures people in, its not worth it. Go to chipotle or even taco bell or just make food at home. I was trying to talk my dad into letting me make his dinner. So I ended up making it yesterday. I poached some chicken breast in water with garlic, lime salt, peppercorn and herbs. It smelled so good when I was shredding it. It was juicy and flavorful. Then I decided to make a cilantro lime rice, unfortunately all we had was a medium grain and for the best rice you want a long grain.

A little sticky but so delicious. It might look like plain white rice but it was packed with flavor. So after shredding the chicken I added black beans and seasonings, then I chopped tomatos, onions, peppers as well as made guacamole.

I made burritos and we all loved them. They were filling and tasted so fresh. I hope my dad decides to read reviews on places, it can save money and stop food nightmares!

Prior to making burritos I wanted some zucchini since we had about 6 logs in the fridge. I love zucchini either fried, baked, or grilled. My favorite is as pizza bites.



You can use any size zucchini you like. Its easy to make. My little sister wanted the recipe so I will tell you how I prepared these my way.

foil your baking trays, spray with any cooking spray you like, slice your veggies, add them to tray and lightly spray with cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper or just pepper. Bake at 400 °F, 204.44 °C for 20 mins. OR you can broil for a few minutes. After removing them from the oven add on a marinara or tomato sauce and cheese. Rebake them until cheese it melted. You can broil them too but I am against it due to easy burning. 

Last night my mom wanted desert and as a diabetic its hard for her to get sugar free anything. Well we found a great greek yogurt and now that I can make granola I made us parfaits.The combo turned out sweet and refreshing. In my moms I added a sugar free jam and she loved it. Tonight I am going to make smoothies to go with dinner.



Today I felt like having cheese sticks, well more specifically pizza sticks but we don't keep pepperoni around so I made do with string cheese and egg roll wrappers.





SO GOOD. TRY IT! 

Its been happy eating the past few days which is unusual for me as I get lethargic and fairly lazy during summer. For some reason I am totally pumped up to cook/bake.

No comments: